Books on Traditional Studies
We recommend to serious students of traditional studies that they
obtain the publications of René Guénon and other expositors of
traditional doctrine. Many of these books can be located and ordered
from this page, including:
Books by René Guénon:
- For an example of Guénon's writing, see his article "Al-faqr or Spiritual
Poverty" here on Murugan Bhakti websites.
- The Crisis of
the Modern World (1927; reprinted 1999 by Indica
Books, Varanasi) 142 pp. "In Crisis of the Modern
World, published for the first time in 1927, Guénon writes a
relentless and radical criticism of the modern world, revealing its
shallowness and its spiritual destitution when confronted with the
traditional civilizations." Excellent introduction to Guenon. Highly
recommended. Published by Indica Books, Varanasi.
- The Great
Triad was first published in French in 1946 and
was the last of the author's books to appear in his lifetime.
"The Great Triad is centred on Taoism while being
characteristically rich in illuminating cross-references to other
traditions, for the ternary in question -- Heaven, Earth and Man --
is an inescapable feature of all spirituality. Seldom have the
multiple levels of significance of a single symbol been expounded in
such profound and meaningful details so as to reveal that, when
properly assimilated, the triad symbol possesses the possibility of
support for inner realisation." (New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal
Publishers, 1994) pp. 171. Can be ordered from Indica Books.
to the Study of Hindu Doctrines, Outstanding work.
Order reprints from Munshiram Manoharlal, New Delhi, or inquire from
- Man and His
Becoming According to Vedanta Another 'must read'
book of Guénon. Order reprints from Munshiram Manoharlal, New Delhi
or inquire from Indica Books.
- Time and Eternity available from Indica Books.
- Hinduism and Buddhism available from Indica
- Figures of Speech or Figures of Thought
- The Dance of Shiva
- Spiritual Authority and Temporal Power in the Indian
Theory of Government Highly recommended.
- A New Approach to the Vedas
Books by Frithjof Schuon:
Indica Books of Varanasi is sole distributor of the books published
by Select Books, Bangalore, which include:
- Language of the Self by Frithjof Schuon
- Treasures of Buddhism by Frithjof Schuon
- Understanding Islam by Frithjof Schuon
- Essays on Esoteric Ecumenism by Frithjof Schuon
Other books on art
history by A.K. Coomaraswamy include:
For more information, contact:
- Fundamentals of Indian Art (vol. I)
- The Transformation of Nature in Art
- Christian and Oriental Philosophy of Art
- The Indian Craftsman
- Essays in Early Indian Architecture
- Early Indian Architecture: Cities and City Gates
- Early Indian Architecture: Palaces
- Elements of Buddhist Iconography
- The Origin of the Buddha Image
- Jaina Art
- Visvakarma: Examples in Indian architecture,
sculpture, painting handicraft
- Art and Swadeshi
- Essays in National Idealism
- Paroksa: Coomaraswamy Centenary Seminar
Papers Vidyapati: Padavali (translated by A.K.C.)
D 40/18, Godowlia (Opp. Sushil Cinema)
Varanasi - 221 001 (U.P.) INDIA
René Guénon's biography