|Route of Tiruppukaz Sangamam Kadirkama Yatra, January 16-21, 2003
Atop Kathiramalai, Kataragama
Devotees before main gate to Kataragama Maha Devale
Ravana Vettai, dramatic gorge at Tiru Koneswaram
Manikka Gangai, Sella Kathirkamam
Relaxing at the Rosen Renaissance Hotel, Kataragama
Murugan Bhakti Sri Lanka pilgrimage tour
Tiruppukaz Sangamam Kadirkama Yatra – January 16-21, 2003
Sri Lanka itinerary: 6 days and 5 nights
Munneswaram - Koneswaram - Kandy – Kathirkamam - Colombo
Day 1: 16th January: Airport to Chilaw to Dambulla
- Be at Chennai Airport before 9:00 am for 12:30 flight on Indian Airlines
- Land ~14:30 pm, clear immigration, change money and exit by 3:30 pm.
- Met and greeted at Katunayake Airport, board A/C tour bus.
- 90-min drive north to Munneswaram on the west coast. Worship at the kovil, which is one of Sri Lanka's five famous 'Eeswaram' kovils.
- Three hour drive east to Dambulla north of Kandy.
- Dinner and overnight stay at Gimanhala Transit Hotel, Dambulla.
Day 2: 17th January: Dambulla to Trincomalee to Kandy
- After early breakfast leave for remaining three hours drive to Koneswaram Kovil in Trincomalee. Tiru Koneswaram Kovil stands on the pinnacle of Swami Rock, and is
a highly venerated shrine sacred to Lord Shiva. It is also known as Dakshina Kailasam.
- Proceed to Kandy (ca. 5+ hours).
- Dinner & overnight stay at the Tourmaline Hotel overlooking Kandy.
Day 3: 18th January: Kandy to Katirkamam
- After early breakfast leave the hotel for a city tour of Kandy.
- Late morning begin 7-hour drive to Katirkamam. Lunch en route.
- In the evening arrive at Katirkamam.
- Dinner & overnight at Rosen Renaissance Hotel, Katirkamam.
Day 4: 19th January: full day at Katirkamam
- Before/after breakfast go to Sella Katirkama and bath in the Manikka Gangai.
- Return to Katirkamam and worship at the Ganapati Kovil & Maha Devale
- Worship at temples to Visnu, Teyvani Amma and Valli Amma.
- Mahadevale pujas are performed at 5 am, 11 am, and 7 pm.
- Leisure at the Devalaya premises in the evening return to the Hotel.
- Dinner & overnight stay at Rosen Renaissance Hotel.
Day 5: 20th January: Katirkamam to Galle to Colombo
breakfast, chance to offer worship once more at Maha Devalaya
- After breakfast, check out and start 7-hour coastal drive to Colombo.
- Halt in scenic Galle Fort for lunch.
- Arrive in Colombo in the late afternoon, check into the Galadari Hotel.
- In the evening visit Murugan temple in Colombo Kompanavidya.
- Dinner & overnight stay at Galadari Hotel, Colombo.
Day 6: 21st January: Colombo to Airport
- After breakfast, check out of the Galadari
- Visit nearby Gintupitiya Murugan Kovil, lunch at some suitable place.
- Arrive at Colombo Airport by 12:30 pm for departure to Chennai by Indian Airlines 15:45hrs
- Land at Chennai Airport around 4:30 pm local time.
Note: depending on time and contingencies, minor changes in the programme may be
necessary which will be known only at that time.
- Accommodation for 5 nights / 6 days at the hotel mentioned.
- Daily dinner & breakfast at the hotels.
- Transportation in a luxury air-conditioned coach.
- Services of an English-speaking assistant
- Site-seeing as mentioned above in the itinerary
What to bring with you:
- One small suitcase or flight bag big ( with lock) enough to carry your
personal needs for one week
- Pilgrim's dress – vetti for men; sari for women;
- Shawl to stay warm during evening time in Kandyan hill country;
- Any personal prescription medicines you may need. General medicines for cold,
cough,fever,sore throat, head ache, stomach disorder etc.
- Water bottle, camera and film
- Small umbrella for those sensitive to sunlight
- Pen for filling forms before & after flights
- Note book for recording your memories.
What to bring from Sri Lanka:
- Ceylon tea
- Kathirkamam vibhuti
- Departure Chennai Airport 16/01/2003 Thursday.
Assemble at Airport 09:00 AM SHARP. Complete check-in formalities. Please don't
be late or all will face difficulties.
Adi Koneswaram Tirukkovil
- Weather in Sri Lanka is like Chennai, except Kandy up-country will be cooler.
- Please bring U$ 250 per person, out of which U$ 170 + 50 will be required for travel
+ lunches on the way. Remainder will be for temples and personal expenses.
- Shopping is expensive. In fact, Sri Lankans come to Madras for shopping.
- Don't be late at any point. We are a big group. Don't leave the group without
informing someone one of the group leaders. Wear the badge when coming out of the rooms
- We are traveling by air-conditioned bus for nearly 1,000 kms total. Travel light with minimum luggage.
Interested in joining the next yatra? Contact:
|Tiruppukaz Sangamam President Senthiladimai Sundaram
||+91 44 2490-1565 or 44 2446-3168
|R. Kumar, Yatra organiser
||+91 44 2249-6266 or 2249-6277
|Murugan Bhakti editor Patrick Harrigan
||+94 075-367023 or 075-367024